General Rules to Follow
- Research sites if you are considering a purchase. Check out user reviews and see if others have had issues.
- Never click on links in emails and texts. Go straight to the company websites. Always check your address bar to make sure you are at the correct website.
- Do not give out more information when making purchases than necessary. No company should need your social security number for you to make a purchase. Only fill the fields that are required when you complete your purchase. To purchase an item, you should only need to give out your name, address, phone number, and payment information. Guard your personal information.
What is Identity Theft?
It occurs when your personal information is stolen and used to commit fraudulent activity. Identity theft can destroy your credit, your name and create a financial burden that may take years to recover.
At Jackson River Community Credit Union, we are committed to keeping your information secure. We offer several services that can assist you in keeping your identity safe:
- Direct Deposit - eliminates "live" checks, no need to mail deposits, secure, faster availability of funds.
- Electronic statement delivery - eliminates the potential for mail theft, fast and convenient.
- Bill payment - eliminates the potential for mail theft, saves on postage, you may pay any merchant
- Home Banking – keep a daily check on your account. This will enable you to spot any type of fraud quickly and put a stop to it!